I am learning to cook, y’all! Okay, perhaps I have always known how to cook, but I definitely go through ebs and flows of cooking. I don’t always enjoy it. And other times, I can’t wait to create a new recipe or alter an old one. It’ weird. I have a love/hate relationship with cooking… and I am a dietitian. Go figure!
I think the reason I don’t always love cooking is at times cooking seems complicated. Just like my blog name, I like ALL things simple. Even cooking. If I see a recipe with over 20 ingredients and directions, count me the F out.
Today, though… I took on a tiny cooking project. I set out to make beans. And not just any pot of beans… a delish pot of beans. I have had my fair share of bland beans. So today is not that kind of a day. Mine were to be fantastic and even smell fantastic.
And guess what?
Fantastic they were.
So now I share with you my simple recipe… and I encourage you to alter it however you like. Spices and herbs are fun to play with so throw in some extras.
Not ‘yer typical pot of beans
- 1/2 bag dried pinto beans , soaked
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed bell peppers, chopped
- 4 ounces smoke ham, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- Soak the dry beans according to the package directions (I soaked the beans in 3 cups of water for 6 hours). Once soaked, rinse the beans and then add fresh water and the beef stock. Place the pot back on the stove with high heat until boiling. Then cover and simmer.
- Chop up the onion, mixed peppers, and smoked ham. Place in the pot and stir it all together. Add in your spices.
- Let the beans simmer for 1-2 hours, until ready. Then enjoy!
What I like about this recipe is that it can be eaten as is, with rice, or even without the meat for a vegetarian dish. You know what they say about beans… they are good for the heart. 😉
Oh and I really liked the pic I took of the peppers so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I just LOVE how pretty fruits and vegetables are naturally. Fruits and vegetables are the Jennifer Aniston’s of food…
Happy Saturday dear friends!