I am on vacation this week and I was at the airport Monday with a long day of traveling. It got me thinking… what are some of the easiest, healthy snacks to bring on plane rides?! Of course, nuts and wholesome trail mixes are always good, but I wanted something new. When I was at Market Street this past Saturday, I found a GREAT fit… the Seapoint Farms Goji Blend.
I know I am not the only one who LOVES to order edamame as an appetizer at sushi restaurants. Am I right or am I right? To be honest, I could care less about the sushi as long as I get my edamame. And this snack is dry roasted edamame mixed with dried goji berries. Hello, antioxidants!
Are you a soy hater? Then don’t buy this. I am not a soy hater, but I wouldn’t call myself a soy lover either. I think a serving of soy is just fine for you each day, every other day, weekly, or whatever. However, if you are soy everything, then you are probably overdoing it. Many vegetarians turn to soy for protein, but soy tends to mimic the activity of estrogen in your body so you really don’t want to have soy at every single meal. And soy is in MANY food products so read labels if you are unsure!
What I love about this Goji Blend:
- Offers 11 grams of protein in 1 serving. This means you will be fuller longer so that all the muffins, cookies, candy bars, and chips staring at you from the airport convenient store don’t even appeal to you.
- Offers 10% daily value of iron. Many women do not get enough iron, especially when Aunt Flow is in town (if you know what I mean).
- Full of antioxidants. This will keep your immune system strong as you walk around the airport taking in a trillion germs!
- Soy has been shown to help with PMS symptoms. To you lucky SOB’s who do not get PMS and men, you can skip this point (and pin a rose on your nose). For those of us that do, including dry roasted edamame or some serving of soy at least a week before your time of the month can help ease symptoms.
- Is only 120 calories per serving. With 120 calories and 11 grams of protein, it is an excellent, wholesome snack choice. Your waistline will not be ashamed.
- Is non-GMO. Soy is one of the products that you really want to be on the lookout for GMO vs non-GMO. I wrote about this very thing not too long ago. Glad to know that Seapoint farms is non-GMO.
Try the regular dry roasted edamame if you cannot find the Goji blend. This was the first time I had ever seen the Goji blend, but both are great! Give it a try and let me know if you like it as much as I do.