I am linking up today for Dish the Fit. Today’s theme is 5-10 healthy foods I could not live without. Being a healthy food nut, this was super easy for me. Others came close to hitting this list, but for me I chose foods I consider staples in my house. I am rarely without these food items in my house and to be honest, most I consume daily.
So, here we go… my 10 foods I would not want to live without and why… (in no particular order).
- Sweet potatoes. I have loved sweet potatoes since college. In fact, I have been nicknamed “yam” a time or two. My best friend swears that I am going to have twins someday because I eat them so much. I think it’s an old wives’ tale, but would welcome twins whether it is true or not.
- Peanut Butter. I have spoken of my love affair with peanut butter. I have it on the regular, usually as part of my morning meal. I prefer the natural variety and the chunkier the better. My favorite brands are the Central Market and Whole Foods store brands (price check that, homey!).
- Greek yogurt. I could become a vegetarian and am very open to it (my struggle with whether or not to is for another blog post. I seriously have arguments for both sides personally). I, however, have no desire to practice a vegan way of eating, because I highly value Greek yogurt. I would not want to give this up. Nor do I feel like I need to. So, Greek yogurt, you have officially made your way into my heart and are here to stay!
- Apples. This is the one fruit that never leaves my side. I definitely go through phases on which variety I like, but I rarely do not have apples in the fridge. My current fave is Golden Delicious, but I have went through the Gala, Red Delicious, Fuji, and Honeycrisp stages in the recent past. Yum times ten to all varieties!
- Honey. Who needs alternative sweeteners or even sugar when you have honey? Bees know what they are doing. Thank you, bees! Honor their work by keeping local honey in your house. A little goes a long way and I particularly love honey on my peanut butter toast and in my chai tea lattes or weekly cup of coffee. Yes, I said weekly. I am no coffee connoisseur but do enjoy a cup on the weekends with my honey (squared). See what I did there?
- Larabars. These are my favorite food items to grab and go. They are so easy to keep in my purse for whenever I will be away from the house for awhile or in my car for a super long time. Current favorite flavors include: Peanut butter chocolate chip, Chocolate chip brownie, and the Uber Dark chocolate peanut. Okay, can you tell I love chocolate?!
- Bananas. I once wrote a rhyme about bananas. I love them that much. I would share it with you, but it was on my old blog that I no longer own. It got deleted. Anyway, not important. I like sliced bananas on my peanut butter toast. I like 1/2 a banana in my green smoothie. I like 1/2 a banana mashed in my protein pancake. I like sliced bananas in my Greek yogurt parfait. Bananas are apparently just the IT food for me. I guess like a monkey?!? But, I do keep it to one banana max per day.
- Carrots. And no baby ones for me. I like the full carrots that I have to shave to eat with a peeler. I like a carrot in my morning juice that I make sometimes or to dip into my next must-have…
- Guacamole packs. These things rock! Thank you, wholly guacamole, for making these. They are easy to grab and go, plus they taste better than any guacamole I have ever tried to make myself. The ingredients are wholesome.. nothing I can’t pronounce. And you know I like that!
- Cinnamon. Technically not a food, but I had to add it in. It spices up my life on the regular! It’s on my peanut butter toast, sometimes in my Greek yogurt, often on my sweet potato, and definitely in any oatmeal. I love love love cinnamon!
Well, that was fun! I like talking food, especially healthy food. There are so many good foods out there and I particularly love that some can even fight off diseases. Prevention is key.. and the way we eat is shaping our future. So why not eat more fruits and vegetables? Okay, off my soap box.
What would you add to the list?